Re: ⟨ vs < in hostname man page of hostname

On 07/08/2023 16:13, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Jonny,
>
> On 2023-08-07 15:47, Jonny Grant wrote:
>> Hi Alejhandro
>>
>> Just looking at the COLOPHON
>> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/hostname.1.html
>
> ```
> COLOPHON         top
>
>        This page is part of the net-tools (networking utilities)
>        project.  Information about the project can be found at
>http://net-tools.sourceforge.net/⟩;.  If you have a bug report for
>        this manual page, see ⟨http://net-tools.sourceforge.net/⟩;.  This
>        page was obtained from the project's upstream Git repository
>        ⟨git://git.code.sf.net/p/net-tools/code⟩ on 2023-06-23.  (At that
>        time, the date of the most recent commit that was found in the
>        repository was 2021-12-12.)  If you discover any rendering
>        problems in this HTML version of the page, or you believe there
>        is a better or more up-to-date source for the page, or you have
>        corrections or improvements to the information in this COLOPHON
>        (which is not part of the original manual page), send a mail to
>        man-pages@xxxxxxxx
> ```
>

>> Noticed that sometimes the '⟨' doesn't render, perhaps it is not in all fonts, would it be possible to use consider using regular '<' and '>' character in the man page?
>
> That is implemented using man(7)'s UR, which is for URIs.  The source
> code of the manual page doesn't know about the glyph that will be
> produced in your system.  In your system, groff(1) will try to find
> the most appropriate one.  You (or your distributor) can also tweak
> that.  You can for example change it to use ASCII '<' and '>'.
>
> In man7.org, I guess that you read it correctly from any machine.
> In your systems' pages there's no COLOPHON anymore (I removed it
> in man-pages-6.01).  If you're on an old system, you can tweak it.
>
> But you'll still see that character in pages that have URIs in them.
> For example, let's consider hier(7):
>
>     $ grep -n '^\.UR ' man7/hier.7;
>     640:.UR https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/fhs.shtml
>
> which renders as (including the whole section):
>
> STANDARDS
>        The   Filesystem   Hierarchy   Standard   (FHS),   Version  3.0
>https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/fhs.shtml⟩;,     published
>        March 19, 2015

Fair enough. Some pages even have both. I saw sometime <> is used, as I expected, other times '⟨⟩' . "SEE ALSO"

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/cp.1.html

But though "COLOPHON" looks like it was appended by a man7 website script with the '⟨⟩' instead, so I thought maybe that could be changed for consistency to <>. There are so many different characters that could be used, but <> is on every keyboard :)
Kind regards, Jonny