Re: ffix proposal

On 2023-07-17 23:09, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> At 2023-07-17T22:36:28+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> Please check if you like this ffix patch.  Things I'm changing:
>>
>> -  Use .RI instead of \f
>>
>> 	Uncontroversial.
>
> Right.
>
>> -  \%
>>
>> 	I guess this one is uncontroversial to you.  ;)
>
> Also right.  :D
>
>> -  \:
>>
>> 	To make the previous one not so horrible.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> -  Reverse what is in italics and what is in roman.
>>
>> 	Path names should go in italics.  This wasn't being done,
>> 	which was a bug.  Now, the variable part is in roman, to
>> 	differentiate from the literal path name.
>
> Also a good change.
>
>> -  \[dq]
>>
>> 	We need it 'cause of .RI.
>
> I think you don't.  \[dq] is only for "neutral" double quotes, as in
> when you really mean U+0022 (in code examples, for instance), and you
> don't mean that here.
>
> I would either leave the file name unquoted, and trust the reader to
> figure out that the period at the end of the sentence is not part of the
> file name, or use real quotation marks.

Ahh, right.  I always keep forgetting that.  I guess since I fixed the
italics, I can just remove the quotes.

Thnaks!

>> +.RI \%\[lq]$LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT /\: $LD_PROFILE .profile \[rq].
>
> None of the special characters \(dq, \(aq, \(lq, \(rq, \(oq, and \(cq is
> perfectly portable to historical *roffs.  DWB 3.3 troff supported the
> first two for some output devices but not others.  Version 7 Unix troff
> didn't support _any_ of them.  ("ASCII ' and " ought to be enough
> quotation marks for anybody," someone at Murray Hill must have said.)
> The good news is that the Linux man-pages project likely does not need
> to target historical *roff implementations.  groff, mandoc, and Heirloom
> Doctools troff support all of these special characters.  (I didn't try
> neatroff or Plan 9 from User Space troff, as they are harder to run in
> my daily development environment.)
>
> The only (arguably) live troff implementation I know of that is likely
> to run into trouble with man pages using these special characters is
> that of Solaris 10, which recently had its execution date postponed to
> January 2025[1][2][3].  (Solaris 11 ships groff.)  But how many people
> are going to be viewing Linux man-pages documents on Solaris?
>
> Also, it is easy to update any AT&T device-independent troff to support
> all of these special characters.  groff_font(5) describes how.
>
> Regards,
> Branden
>
> [1] https://blogs.oracle.com/support/post/extended-support-for-oracle-solaris-10-operating-system
>
> [2] The previous EOL date for Solaris 10 was early 2024, and I was
>     planning on dropping support for it in groff 1.24.  I am as certain
>     as I can be that Oracle made this decision solely to spite me.  :P

Heh, we'll have to live with Paul Eggert's weird pages for a few more
years.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5