Re: Playground pager lsp(1)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 11:11:40AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> How do you find the description of, say, "dereference symbolic link"
> (to take just a random example from the Emacs manual) when the actual
> text of the manual include neither this string nor matches for any
> related regular expressions, like "dereference.*link"?
>
> The way Info does it is to use the index (which should be present in
> any respectable reference document) to find description of the
> corresponding subject.  The indexing, which is done by the author of
> the document, if it's a good indexing, should include index entries
> that specify subjects the reader could have in mind when he/she is
> looking for this kind of information.
>
> The corresponding index-searching commands of Info readers are a
> primary means for finding information quickly and efficiently,
> avoiding too many false positives and also avoiding frustrating
> misses, i.e., searches that fail to find anything pertinent.

In the future, there should be a local documentation search driven
by AI algorithms which handles synonyms and rewordings, so that if
the user searched for "dereference", they also found text about
"following a reference" even if the word "dereference" wasn't used.
Think of it like a version of G**gle running on your own machine.
Implementing such a thing is beyond me, though.