Re: Request to update feature_test_macros(7) wrt FORTIFY_SOURCE

Hi Mingye,

On 3/20/23 09:15, Mingye Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It might be a good time to update the _FORTIFY_SOURCE bit in the
> f_t_m(7) manpage. Specifically:
>
> We currently have it stuck at level 2. Since level 3 is now a thing in
> gcc and clang with the introduction of __builtin_dynamic_object_size,
> we should add it. The language should be similar to the level 2
> description, with the difference that level 3 is able to evalulate
> dynamic sizes. There are two articles from Redhat about this new
> level: one from when only clang had it[1], and the other from when gcc
> added it too.[2].
> [1]: https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/04/16/broadening-compiler-checks-for-buffer-overflows-in-_fortify_source#in_the_very_long_term__everything_is_dynamic
> [2]: https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/09/17/gccs-new-fortification-level
>
> The other point relates to clang, in that we should mention that it
> has it too since svn revision 55735 (2008). I will take some time to
> track down the released version number. We also need to mention when
> gcc and clang added the level 3 stuff.
>
> I plan to send a patch on this stuff, but do be warned my man(7) and
> git send-email are very rusty.

Thanks!  No problem about that.  Please CC some GCC or Clang mailing
list and related developers when you send your patch.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5