Re: Issue in man page charsets.7

Hello Alex,
On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 12:27:36AM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On 3/11/23 18:13, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Without further ado, the following was found:
> >
> > Issue:    ISO → ISO/IEC
>
> I've already seen several reports about ISO -> ISO/IEC in several pages
> from several people.  I'd like someone who knows about these standards
> to take a look at all the man pages and suggest a global fix about this.

Well, *most likely* the global fix is to always replace "ISO" by
"ISO/IEC" in the man pages.

Rationale:
Almost all relevant standards in the IT domain are prepared by the
joint technical committee 1 from ISO and ITC (ISO/IEC JTC1). Hence
they always carry an "ISO/IEC".

But there *may* be exceptions. Thus I always check each individual
case (and hence made several reports). You can simply do this by going
to http://www.iso.org and entering the number in the search box.

If this is too tiresome, then a global fix of ISO → ISO/IEC is most
likely the correct fix.

All I can do is to review each occurence I note and point you to this.

Greetings

         Helge

P.S. If I should explain this even more verbosely, I can, please let
     me know. I work in these committes for ~ 15 years.

--
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx