Re: Issue in man page namespaces.7

Hi Alex,

At 2023-01-22T22:11:06+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On 1/22/23 22:02, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I would use \fP instead of \fR, this way you return to the
> > "previous"
>
> Ahh, yes, thanks for catching that!  Sleeping 3 hours is definitely
> not good for the brain :P

Certainly not.  Good self-care keeps the engineer's brain supple.  :)

> > But I would also quote multi-word arguments to _any_ man(7) macro.
>
> Why is it?  I remember you mentioned that, but what's the win?

It's more portable.  AT&T troff and its descendants (except for Heirloom
Doctools troff) support only 9 macro arguments at most.  Worse, the AT&T
man(7) macros and most descendants support only _six_.

When doing maintenance, it's easy to forget that.

But even in a groff-only world, I would recommend the practice as good
style because it leaves room to expand the syntax of some macros.

Admittedly I don't see any promising places where we might do that in
man(7) to any macros that already accept formattable text as arguments.

I still think it's a good idea style-wise because the man(7) author
should keep the count of words following a macro call in mind,
especially if they want to effectively use the font style alternation
macros (.BI, .BR, .IB, .IR, .RB, .RI).

In mdoc(7) argument count makes a difference due to the package's
unique recursive argument interpretation feature.  Still, while this was
a measurable phenomenon 30 years ago, it may not be today.  (The whole
reason "cat pages" exist in man(1) is that the time spent by the
formatter on a document was significant then; it is negligible now.)

I will admit right now that I don't follow this rule rigidly myself in
groff's man pages when it comes to `I` calls.  I may fix that at some
point.  (If I did so, it would align doc/ms.ms better with groff_ms(7).)

So it's not a big deal, but there's so much ignorance about man(7) out
there that it's a goal of mine to make the language easier to acquire.

> > > +.SS "The \f[I]/proc/sys/user\f[] directory"
>
> Interesting.  I'll consider that for the long term.  However, for now
> I'll keep \fP style.

No worries.

Regards,
Branden