Re: struct sockaddr_storage, union (was: Improve getsockname)

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2023, 21:19:49 UTC Alejandro Colomar a écrit :

> On 1/19/23 22:00, Bastien Roucariès wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> <https://inbox.sourceware.org/libc-alpha/0f25d60f-f183-b518-b6c1-6d46aa63ee57@xxxxxxxxx/T/>
> >
> > I do not believe it is broken by design. It should be used with care and warning.
> >
> > BTW if we go to the anonymous union way could we add at the end a _null_reserved_field. It will help for unix socket and the infamous sun_path could not end with null...
> > May be it is too late from an ABI point of view, but for me the posix contract from an ABI point of view is that I said in the note  sockaddr_storage  could grow but not be reduced.
>
> Yes, many types have seen such additions at the end of it over time.  In the
> Linux man-pages, I try to document all structures as "having at least these
> members", but may grow over time.

In fact it is not needed and it is the best argument of struct sockaddr_storage
 printf("%li %li",sizeof(struct sockaddr_storage),sizeof(struct sockaddr_un));
give me 128 vs 110...

So if correctly documented and aliasing solved it will be the best of the world...

Moreover kernel expect it https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/net/unix/af_unix.c#L293