Re: Question about makevarescape.sed in groff-1.22.4 tarball

Hi Branden,

On 1/14/23 06:16, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi Mike,

At 2023-01-14T04:49:08+0000, Mike Fulton wrote:
The last line of the makevarescape.sed is:

```
s|[^ ]/\+|&\\\\:|g
```

I do not understand why it is making the change it is,

It is adding hyphenless break points to file specifications and URLs.
This is mentioned in the groff_man(7) page.

               When rendered by groff to a TTY or PostScript output de‐
               vice,

                      Contact
                      .MT fred.foonly@\:fubar.net
                      Fred Foonly
                      .ME
                      for more information.

               displays   as:   “Contact   Fred   Foonly  ⟨fred.foonly@
               fubar.net⟩ for more information.”.

               The use  of  ‘\:’  to  insert  hyphenless  discretionary
               breaks is a groff extension and can be omitted.

The overall function of makevarescape.sed is explained around line 825
of the "Makefile.am" file.

but if I do

```
./configure --prefix=/Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine<mailto:--prefix=/Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine>
```

This looks like it might have been double-pasted...is that right?

On my Mac, or a similar type of line under z/OS, then the man pages
seem to have strange escape sequences added to them.  For example, on
my Mac, this results in the line:

```
.I /Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine/share/groff/1.22.4/tmac/\:tty\-char.tmac<mailto:/Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine/share/groff/1.22.4/tmac/\:tty\-char.tmac>
```

Being generated in the ./src/roff/nroff/nroff.1 file

Maybe it wasn't double-pasted.  If not, then I feel like a ./configure
prefix setting of this complexity was not anticipated by groff, and
possibly not by other software using GNU Autotools, either.

Please confirm:

You can

cd /Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine<mailto:--prefix=/Users/fultonm@xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Development/mine>

Wow, if this is a real pathname, I guess it's time to ping Thaddeus about filename.7 :P

<https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/YW2hzL5vDfVZIAXY@xxxxxxxx/T/#u>

on these systems?

Regards,
Branden