intro(3type) draft

Hi Branden and Ingo!

Per the request of Branden that I should discourage programmers of writing their manuals with subchapters, which fundamentally means discouraging programmers of writing their libraries (or modules, or whatever a given language uses) in a way that you can't document a header in a single page, I wrote the following introductory page intro(3type).

The caveat that you'll read should go either in all intro([23]\w+) pages. We could put it in the main section into pages too. I want to hear some opinions about this.

I used temporarily the term [sub]chapter to see how it fits.

Cheers,

Alex

---

intro(3type)                                        intro(3type)

NAME
       intro - introduction to library types

DESCRIPTION
       Subchapter  3type  of the manual describes the types pro‐
       vided by C libraries.

CAVEATS
       The separation of chapter 3 of this manual into  subchap‐
       ters  is  only  a  consequence of the organization in the
       Standard C Library.  Probably, a better design for a  li‐
       brary would be such that each header file is minimal, and
       contains  only  one or a few APIs, and the types and con‐
       stants that are intrinsic to that API.   Types  and  con‐
       stants  that  are to be used by many APIs can go in sepa‐
       rate header files that provide no APIs.   That  organiza‐
       tion  permits  writing manual pages that document exactly
       one header file per manual page, which will  improve  the
       readability of the documentation, and thereby the usabil‐
       ity of the software.

SEE ALSO
       intro(3)

Linux man‐pages (unreleased) (date)                 intro(3type)

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>