Re: [RFC] Various pages: srcfix. Replace .PD 0 with .TQ.

Hi Branden,

On 5/21/22 17:28, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
I am uncertain about this change.  I like the idea of getting rid of
`PD` calls, but I think there in value in having `TQ` possess semantics
of "here is another tag that is related to the previous one after a TP
call".

Agree.  I prefer to keep the meaning of TQ as a continuation of TP.

You are (ab)using TQ here to avoid inter-paragraph space.  As I noted in
a message of a few minutes ago on the groff mailing list[1], it might be
better to wait for what settles out of a discussion of the `BL` /`EL`
macro pair I have (not yet formally) proposed for a post-1.23.0 groff
man(7) extension.

I tend to agree with the necessity for a list macro, and I never liked lists written as

.TP
item1
.TQ
item2
.TQ
item3

Because that looks like an abuse of tagged paragraph macros, where they completely lost their original meaning (there aren't even paragraphs in that list!). And yet we have that code in the Linux man-pages.

I like your idea of BL/EL[1].  Will wait for your release :)

Regards,

Alex

[1]: <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/man/groff.7.man#n225>

--