Re: Issue in man page ascii.7.po

Hi, Helge!

At 2022-03-14T12:29:26+0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Just to ensure that credit is where credit is due: This was a bug
> report by a l10n/i18n team member of Debian and the fix was developed
> by Colin Watson, see:
>
> Thanks for confirmation and fixing it upstream, so downstreams
> (translations) get it automatically.

For the sake of neurotic precision, I (and the groff documentation I've
been updating over the past 5 years) term the `\&` escape sequence a
"non-printing input break", not a "zero-width character" of any sort.
The reasons for this are that (1) `\&` affects how the formatter (troff)
interprets its _input_, and (2) this escape sequence does not directly
produce _anything_ in formatted output.  We're familiar with zero-width
space characters from HTML and Unicode, but such a concept is not really
applicable to *roff formatters.

To answer the question you raised in the Debian bug's history...

> Why don't you need it for line 1 as well? There is an ! also.

The "!" over on the left-hand side of the table has only one space after
it, not two.  For a potential end-of-sentence character (".", "?", and
"!" by default) to be recognized as ending a sentence, it must be
followed by a newline or _at least_ two spaces.

I have tried to make the formatter's behavior very clear in the groff
Texinfo manual[1].  I'd appreciate critique of any ways in which it
fails to be.

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/doc/groff.texi#n4775