Re: [RFCv2] man-pages.7: Add phrasal semantic newlines advise

Hi, Alex!

At 2021-11-13T01:06:15+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Brian W. Kernighan, 1974 [UNIX For Beginners]:
>
> [
> Hints for Preparing Documents
>
> Most documents go through several versions
> (always more than you expected)
> before they are finally finished.
> Accordingly,
> you should do whatever possible
> to make the job of changing them easy.
>
> First,
> when you do the purely mechanical operations of typing,
> type so subsequent editing will be easy.
> Start each sentence on a new line.
> Make lines short,
> and break lines at natural places,
> such as after commas and semicolons,
> rather than randomly.
> Since most people change documents
> by rewriting phrases and adding,
> deleting and rearranging sentences,
> these precautions simplify any editing you have to do later.
> ]

Sound advice worth quoting if space permits, and linking to if it does
not.

> He mentioned phrases,
> and they are indeed commonly the operands of patches
> (see this patch's changes (the second part) as an example),
> so they make for a much better breaking point than random
> within a clause that is too long to fit a line.
>
> The downside is that they are more difficult to automatically spot
> than clause breaks (which tend to have associated punctuation).
> But we are humans writing patches,
> not machines,
> and therefore we should be able to decide and detect them better.

I, do, however, find the free verse style more difficult to read in
email, as a rule.  A brain is a modal thing, and when I'm reading emails
I'm generally prepared for prose.  When I'm editing a man page, my mind
is in a different mode, and better prepared for the foregoing textual
style.

> -and long sentences should be split into lines at clause breaks
> -(commas, semicolons, colons, and so on).
> +long sentences should be split into lines at clause breaks
> +(commas, semicolons, colons, and so on),
> +and long clauses should be split at phrase boundaries.
>  This convention, sometimes known as "semantic newlines",
>  makes it easier to see the effect of patches,
> -which often operate at the level of individual sentences or sentence clauses.
> +which often operate at the level of
> +individual sentences, sentence clauses, or phrases.

I would drop the qualifier "sentence" from "sentence clause(s)" here.
One wonders, "what's a NON-sentence clause"?  Just "clauses" is fine.

This noun is not otherwise used in the man-pages project except very
rarely to refer to items in legal notices, another standard usage with a
clearly distinct context.  In the context of the patch, the discussion
is obviously grammatical and sentential.

Apart from that, LGTM!

Regards,
Branden