Re: Is getpass(3) really obsolete?

Hi Joseph,

On 10/29/21 18:31, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) via Libc-alpha wrote:

The broader context is that I was trying to make the deprecation notices more
consistent in the Linux manpages, by using the [[deprecated]] attribute where
appropriate.  While doing that, I found a few cases where the
deprecation/obsoletion is not so clear to me, such as this one
([as]ctime[_r](3) is another one, since it is deprecated by POSIX, but not by
the C standard, but I'll start a different thread with that; and isascii(3) is

See the discussion of deprecation starting with
<https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2021-May/126356.html> (C2X
has also deprecated those functions).  The comments in that thread
supported marking the functions deprecated, but it needs someone to send a
patch and I don't know what breakage might result in applications using
those functions.

Thanks. The latest draft for C2x that I know of is N2596. Is there any newer draft that I can consult for these things? I see many proposals, but it's difficult to know which have been accepted and which not without an actual recent draft of the standard.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar