Re: nonbreaking spaces (was: [patch] nscd.conf.5: describe reloading, clarifications)

Hi Branden!

On 7/29/21 1:55 PM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi, Alex!

At 2021-07-28T22:31:26+0200, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
Also from man-pages(7):
[...]
        If the command is short, then it can be included inline  in
        the  text,  in italic format, for example, man 7 man‐pages.
        In this case, it may  be  worth  using  nonbreaking  spaces
        ("\ ")  at suitable places in the command.  Command options
        should be written in italics (e.g., -l).

I'd like to note that \~ is a superior escape sequence to use for this
purpose in most siutations.  The problem is that "\ " does, or rather
doesn't do, two things: it doesn't break and it doesn't adjust (that
is, it doesn't participate in widening when a line is justified to both
the left and right margins, a common typesetting practice).

Can you provide some examples of rendered output with '\ ' and '\~'?
I think I understand it, but a graphical example might be better.

 It's also,
in my opinion, confusing to see and to write and speak about.

I'm not sure I understood this sentence :)

\~ is, admittedly, a groffism, but it is one that has been supported by
other actively maintained troff implementations and man page
rendererers.

Heirloom Doctools troff has supported it since its 2005-09-15
release[1].  mandoc has supported it since 2018-12-15[2], released
2019-03-10[3].

(Support in groff itself goes at least as far back as version 1.02, in
June 1991[4].)

Support looks good.

What do you think about updating this guidance?

I'm not sure I understood the difference completely,
I'll comment about it when you provide some examples.

Kind regards,

Alex

Regards,
Branden