Re: Format inline code

At 2020-11-13T10:00:20+0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> But in the "-branden" version I see
>
> [[
> .RS 6n
> ]]

Yes.

> If I understand correctly, then that number is calculated based on the
> ".IP * 2" that precedes it.

Yes.

> That doesn't seem good (since, maybe at some point, one might want to
> change the .IP yo say ".IP  1) 3", and then one has to fix the .RS
> lines. Am I missing something?

No.  This is why I don't have a solution for you yet.  The problem
facing us is to set a code display (.EX/.EE) with the the following
constraints.

A. It must be indented from its context by a predictable amount
   irrespective of that context being an indented paragraph (.IP).
B. Indented paragraphs must be free to use custom indentation amounts.
C. The quantity of macro calls must be minimal.  (Probably 2: one to
   commence the indenation and one to cancel it.)
D. We want to use standard man(7) macros, not raw *roff requests.
E. The solution should be portable to non-groff interpreters, ruling out
   computation of indentation using internal variables specific to
   groff's man(7) implementation to figure out the current indentation
   amount.

So far I've only been able to come up with solutions if any one of (A),
(B), or (C) is relaxed.

Please correct me if I've overstated of any of these constraints, or
omitted one.

Regards,
Branden