Re: [RFC] system_data_types.7: Specify the length modifiers for the variables that have them

On 9/18/20 12:54 PM, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

+for printing
+.I ptrdiff_t
+variables.

I suggest saying "values" instead of "variables", here and elsewhere, since variables need not be involved.

+.BR %ti

This sort of thing should use ".B" not ".BR". There are multiple instances of this.

+Glibc provides a length modifier for
+.I ssize_t
+for the
+.BR printf (3)
+and the
+.BR scanf (3)
+families of functions, which is
+.BR z ;
+resulting commonly in
+.B %zd
+or
+.BR %zi
+for printing
+.I ssize_t
+variables.
+Note that POSIX doesn't provide this length modifier,
+and therefore portable programs should avoid using it.
+Instead, such programs should cast the value to
+.IR intmax_t .

POSIX does provide that length modifier; however, it doesn't say it works with ssize_t. I suggest rewording "Glibc provides a length modifier" to "Glibc and most other implementations provide a length modifier", and changing the last two sentences to:

Although
.B z
works
for
.I ssize_t
on Glibc and most other implementations, portable POSIX programs should avoid it, e.g., by converting to
.I intmax_t
and using its length modifier.