Re: [patch 18/39] mm/madvise: check fatal signal pending of target process

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 07:53:09PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 5:31 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > From: Minchan Kim <minchan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: mm/madvise: check fatal signal pending of target process
> >
> > Bail out to prevent unnecessary CPU overhead if target process has pending
> > fatal signal during (MADV_COLD|MADV_PAGEOUT) operation.
>
> This seems bogus.
>
> Returning -EINTR when *SOMEBODY ELSE* has a signal is crazy talk.

It doesn't propagate -EINTR to the user but just aiming for canceling
the entire operation.

> It also seems to be the reason for the previous patches inexplicably
> passing in the task pointer.
>
> Finally, it has absolutely no explanations for why this would matter,
> and why it's magically and suddenly an issue for process_madvise(),
> when in the history of the *real* madvise() this hasn't been an issue
> for "current".

Currently, madvise(MADV_COLD|PAGEOUT) already have done it. I just wanted
to sync with it with process_madvise. Ting was process_madvise couldn't
get target task while madvise could get it easily.

> I'm dropping the madvise() series.
>
> If the issue is that you can generate a long series or areas with that
> iovec, maybe the code should re-consider. Or maybe the signal pending
> case should be done there, not passing down an odd task pointer to the
> low-level madvise code.

Do you mean you want to drop target signal check madvise as well as
process_madvise?