Re: The GNU C Library Manual - Authoritative or not?

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Michael Kerrisk via Libc-alpha wrote:

 ... >8

* I try to make it easy for people to contribute.

Yes, the barrier to entry is pretty high; especially for a simple manual
fix. I speak from experience, I had a list of corrects to make; it was
relatively easy for the Linux man-pages. I believe, after getting two
accepted for The Manual I gave up.

Perhaps a separate mailing list dedicated to The Manual accepting
patches with relaxed rules?

As to discovery, that is, The Manual being unknown. For years my go to
tool for information was apropos(1). Of course you cannot discover
info(1) pages that way. A script could convert The Manual into a man
page. I'd be huge and probably ugly, but people could find it. Actually,
I already use The Manual in a similar way. I cat and format it into a
monolithic text file. I use the pager's search to find what I need. I am
used to the search patterns that, for example, find x-refs, nodes, etc.
It works for me (better then info(1) does).

In the beginning I found the fragmentation of Linux docs frustrating.
Not just info and man pages, but also html, pdf, text, howtos, kernel
docs, etc. I'm used to it now, and I'm thankful that we have as much
information as we do. There seems to be a lot of negative response to
The Manual; I'd like to say that it is a very useful body of work for
me. Michael's project is too. So a big thank you to all that put time
and effort into documentation!