Re: On bug bombing

Hello Helge,

On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 09:20, Helge Kreutzmann <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:26:41PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > I am torn between saying thank you for all the effort you
> > clearly made and saying PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!
>
> Ok.
>
> > Submitting one hundred plus bug reports at the same time
> > is _very_ burdensome for an upstream maintainer. Honestly,
> > if it had not been for lockdown, I might simply have ignored
> > the whole series of mails.
>
> That would have been a pitty.
>
> I would have assumed that you process them at your convenience, i.e.
> each when you have time.

Time is always in short supply :-}. And sometime, when I queue things,
they just get lost (for ever, or for a long time).

> > In the future, please do not wait for  huge backlog to build up
> > before sending me reports. (10 reports at a time is fine; 100,
> > not so much.)
>
> Well, in the past (i.e. 10 years) we (german) translators always said
> "we should report this". But "we" always amounted to no one doing it.
> We were only recording issues found. So I finally decided to proceed.

I figured that the story must be something like this. So, in any case,
thank you that you did the work. It is appreciated.

> Since you are our biggest upstream, I started with your pages.
> Intially I would have made one big bug report, but I understood this
> is not requested from your side.

Yes. Individual reports is best. That way, I can accept/reject/discuss
each issue individually.

> Since it was mostly script based (and I was working on the scripts
> while preparing) they came in all at once. I could have added a
> throttle, like 10 / day, of course.
>
> I'm still learning the process(es), so the next upstream might get a
> better experience and I apologize for all the glitches I made.

I do suggest at least warnin the upstream that a lot of reports are
about to land...

> Anyhow, I hope to report more frequent (and with much lower numbers) in
> the future.
>
> > In any case, thank you very much for your many reports.
>
> Thanks from my side that you accepted and processed them.

You're welcome!

Thanks,

Michael

--