Re: Errors in man pages, here: st(4): Content

> On 20. Apr 2020, at 11.11, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [CC += Kai]
>
> On 4/19/20 8:48 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
>> Dear manpages maintainers.
>> the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
>
> I do not know. Perhaps Kai can help.
>
> Kai, the text in question is
>
>              MT_ST_AUTO_LOCK (Default: false)
>                     When this option is true, the drive door  is  locked
>                     when  the  device  is opened and unlocked when it is
>                     closed.
>
> I believe Helge asks whether the text should read:
>
>              MT_ST_AUTO_LOCK (Default: false)
>                     When this option is true, the drive door  is  locked
>                     when  the  device  is CLOSED and unlocked when it is
>                     OPEN.

The orginal text is correct. This is section 4 man page meaning that it
describes the programming interface, Opening the device means
opening the device file, i.e., starting to use the device from the
computer and the drive should be closed when the drive is operating.
It can be opened when the device file is closed and the device is
not in use.

This might be clearer if the text would say “when the device file is
opened”? I admit that the original text, while correct, may not be
obvious to non-programmers.

Thanks,
Kai