Re: manpage bug/improvement: pthread_setschedparam does not need privilege to set real-time policy

hello Chris,

On 6/13/18 9:09 AM, Chris Fryer wrote:
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_getschedparam.3.html
>
> The example section on this page states that a process needs privilege
> in order to set real-time scheduling policy. If my understanding is
> correct, this hasn't been necessary since Linux 2.6.12 and the
> introduction of resource limit RLIMIT_RTPRIO.
>
> Testing on 4.13.0 shows I can use the example code to set SCHED_FIFO or
> SCHED_RR without privilege up to an RLIMIT_RTPRIO of 95.

What you say is correct, but there is also this text in the page
that points to another page that describes all of the details:

NOTES
       For a description of the permissions required to, and  the  effect
       of,  changing  a  thread's  scheduling  policy  and  priority, and
       details of the permitted ranges for priorities in each  scheduling
       policy, see sched(7).

Thanks,

Michael

--