Thoughts on the "use a one-font macro for a single argument" patches

Hi Bjarni,

With a very few exceptions I'm not going to apply these patches, for
the following reasons:

1) Churn
2) Too many things (some of them useful!) are mixed into many of the patches.
3) In some case, the fixes are erroneous, but because there's so much
going on (multiple different types of changes) in each patch, it's
difficult to spot the errors.

I have manually applied various pieces you sent. Thanks! (Anything
that I did not respond t, did not get applied. All changes have now
been pushed to Git.)

Just by the way, many years ago I made sweeping changes in many many
pages in the style you propose (single font macros, remove unneeded
quotes). At the time, it seemed sensible to me. Bu these days, I'm
inclined not to do this sort of thing, because of churn.

I appreciate that you put quite some work into these patches. But,
(1) They create problems for me of the kind I already described
(2) It's really best to get agreement up front about whether a large
patch series is going to be considered acceptable.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk