Re: minus signs instead of hyphen-minuses in man-pages-posix-2013-a (was: man 1 getopts example code - w

Hi, Michael!

On Fr 2018-02-09 08:22:36 +0100, Daniel Lublin wrote:
> Trying to pick up on this again -- dashes in the POSIX man-pages are mostly
> of the wrong sort, and makes it difficult to search for options in the
> pages. (Cc Drew DeVault, yes I came across this from your blog post)
>
> On 2017-12-03 15:25:41, Nico R <nico@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > looks like a bug in the man page itself.  it uses \(mi instead of \- in
> > > the example code.  might be an artifact of the conversion process though
> > > as iirc, the posix pages are generated.
> >
> > I agree. As the matter seems not to have been handled yet, I’m bringing this
> > up again.
> >
> > Some more detail: it seems that all POSIX man pages are affected, more or
> > less.
>
> [...]
>
> > I would have tried to help a bit more with this issue, but I do not know
> > what/where the sources for the POSIX man pages are, I do not know how the
> > POSIX man pages are generated from their sources, and I could not find any
> > conversion scripts. Can anyone explain the process, please?
>
> I found https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/todo.html which states:

> And looking in the man-pages website repo, Michael Kerrisk committed this.
> So if you Michael also did the actual update of the POSIX man-pages, do you
> have pointers to the sources for them, and any scripts which where used to
> process them (according to todo.html) to produce the man-files?

It’s been over a year since the original bug report, and quite a while since the last mail in this thread. Michael, can you shed a bit of light on the issue? Or do you have any pointers for people willing to help with this?

Thanks
--
Nico