Re: [[patch] 1/3] tzfile.5: Sync from tzdb upstream

On 06/21/2018 12:10 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
The pages in "man-pages" document the glibc provided versions of
tzfile/zdump/zic, AFAIK. Do those programs in turn come from the
upstream tzdb project? If so, what's the rationale for that?

glibc occasionally copies zdump.c and zic.c from tzdb, because the tzdb code works and there's no reason for them to differ.

should man-pages be carrying copies of these pages, or should
they be best carried in a single location (tzdb?).

Really, tzdb is the primary version for these man pages. As I understand it, the main reason for man-pages to differ, is that glibc is often behind tzdb, and man-pages documents glibc.

(By the way, where is the upstream home of tzdb?)

https://www.iana.org/time-zones

At least, that's where it is now. It's been there a few years.

When I inherited the
project, the pages used a mixture of "time zone" and "timezone",
with the former predominant. I nevertheless standardized on the
latter, and although I don't recall for sure, I suspect it was
because that is the spelling used in POSIX.

News to me. I expect that's because POSIX has a extern variable "timezone" (which in hindsight was a mistake) and decided to use the word "timezone" in English prose. Outside of computerese, though, "time zone" is the most common spelling in English. I just checked the New York Times, for example, and it uses both "time stamp" and "timestamp" with about equal frequency, but "time zone" is used waaay more often than "timezone" is. I deferred to POSIX for "timestamp" versus "time stamp", but "timezone" is a bridge too far for me.