Re: man section terminology

Hello Doug,

On 04/23/2018 04:34 AM, Doug McIlroy wrote:
man.1 does not tell what is supposed to be in section 1p or any
other section with a non-digit name. This makes the default MANPATH
rather mysterious. (I am grateful, though, that the default list is
given.)

My Linux version is
Linux version 4.15.14-200.fc26.x86_64 (mockbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 7.3.1 20180130 (Red Hat 7.3.1-2) (GCC)) #1 SMP Thu Mar 29 16:19:54 UTC 2018

man(1) is maintained by a different project (not "man-pages"). But, I'm not sure that it is the pace of that page to give the info you suggest.
Yes, the page does broadly explain what 1, 2, 3, etc sections are. But,
for example, on Linux and also many other UNIX-type systems the section 3 has had many subsections (e.g., "3s", "3c" and so on on some systems().

On the other hand, since default search order is listed, and it includes those sections, perhaps they should be briefly explained in man(1).
Best to ask the maintainers of that project, I think.

But, now I just looked further. The upstream man-db project does not seem to have that text. I assume therefore that this is a distro-specific addition. I see it also on Fedora. Are you likewise using Fedora?

Thanks,

Michael