pkey_alloc/pkey_free semantics

I'm implementing the memory protection key interfaces for glibc and noticed that the pkey_alloc manpage in particular is a bit removed from reality.

Here's what I found:

The flags argument is reserved and currently must be zero.

The access_rights argument instructs the kernel to set the access rights for the new key for the current thread only (!). It's a bitmask with bits PKEY_DISABLE_ACCESS and PKEY_DISABLE_WRITE.

So in essence, both arguments are not needed right now because the access rights of the current thread for the new key could easily be changed in user space.

To repeat, pkey_alloc affects the access rights of the current thread. Other threads retain their existing access rights. The default rights for the process apparently can be set with the init_pkru parameter on recent kernels (I have not tried that).

The manpage mentions only the key leak related to pkey_mprotect (pkey_free while a page still is still associated with that key). There is another one which affects a pkey_alloc/pthread_create/pkey_free sequence, where any created threads retain their access rights. I raised this issue of key reuse in a recent thread (MPK: pkey_free and key reuse), so perhaps there will be a way

Anyway, the important manpage fix for now would be to fix the description of the flags and access_rights parameters.

Thanks,
Florian