Re: syslog(3) inconsistency

On 26/03/17 13:46, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
On 03/24/2017 06:26 PM, Ian Abbott wrote:
On 24/03/2017 14:40, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
Hello Ian,

On 03/23/2017 07:37 PM, Ian Abbott wrote:
Hi,

The first parameter of `syslog()` is called `priority` in the man-page,
except in the breakdown of the possible log levels, where it is called
`level`.

Your report doesn't say clearly which pieces of text you find to
be incorrect, but I wonder if you have missed this sentence in the
man page:

    The priority argument is formed by ORing the facility and the
    level values (explained below).

Oh, that's it!  My mistake.  Apologies for the noise.

So, I think the metapoint brought out by the comments of you and
Walter is that the text of the page is not really organized in a
way that is easy to parse. (And a few notable details were also
missing, I see.) I've reworked the page quite a bit to (I hope)
make the information easier to parse. The revised version
is already pushed to Git, in case you want to take a look.

Well I can tell you how my mental process worked in this case if it helps. Basically, I'd skipped over the bit that described the 'priority' argument as being composed of two parts OR'ed together, and went straight to what I thought was a description of each function argument, so I thought the description of the 'level' was really a description of the 'priority' argument. A sentence similar to "This forms part of the 'priority' argument, together with the 'facility' value." would have helped me, but then again, so would reading the man page properly!

The description of 'level' mentions 'setlogmask(3)', but that man page calls the levels "priorities".

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-