Re: Man page bug report about pthread_join

Hello 王守堰,

On 08/24/2016 09:11 PM, 王守堰 wrote:
> Hi:
>   I have checked the newest version of pthread_join at
> *http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_join.3.html
> <http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_join.3.html>*
>   I think there exists something wront in this sentence:
>
> If *retval* is not NULL, then *pthread_join*() copies the exit status of
>        the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread supplied to
>        pthread_exit(3)
> <http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_exit.3.html>) into the
> location pointed to by **retval*.
>
> I think it should be "into the location pointed to by *retval" *or
> "into **retval".*
>
> Because the actual behavior of pthread_join() is like:  *retval = exit_status;
>
> But the current man page description means: *(*retval) = exit_status;
>
> Do you agree with me?
>
> Hope your reply.

I agree that there is a bit of confusion in the wording of the page.
I changed this paragraph to read:

       If retval is not NULL, then pthread_join() copies the exit  status
       of  the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread sup‐
       plied to pthread_exit(3)) into the location pointed to by  retval.
       If the target thread was canceled, then PTHREAD_CANCELED is placed
       in the location pointed to by retval.

Okay?

Cheers,

Michael