Re: readlink() example sometimes fails

Here's another issue, this time related to stat(), st_size and regular files.

I think stat(2) should be updated in relation to exceptions with
st_size and regular files.
Currently the man pages describe this exception (corner case) as:

"For most files under the /proc directory, stat() does not return the
file size in the st_size
field; instead the field is returned with the value 0."

However, I found at /sys/devices/cpu/ and in other (Linux kernel)
directories (all) regular files
to report 4096 bytes yet their real size is only a few bytes (for
example the regular
 file "/sys/devices/cpu/type" st_size=4096 bytes yet one can only read 2 bytes).

Hence in some cases (st_size=0) it reports a smaller size, and in the
latter case - a bigger size
(st_size=4096).

I don't know if these cases are posix compliant and since you have a
lot more experience I hope you'll
write the proper explanation in place of the one mentioned at the top.
I would write something
like this:

"Many regular files generated by the (Linux) kernel at /proc or /sys
return an st_size that has nothing
to do with the real file size so one should try to read as much as one
can and append
a '\0' at the end if it's a text file";

But then the regular file at /proc/kcore reports st_size=many terabytes.