Re: random(3) man page error

Hi Craig,

On 03/24/2016 08:20 AM, Craig Howland wrote:
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/random.3.html contains an error with
> respect to the feature test macro requirements.
>
> It says "_XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500
>                 || /* Glibc since 2.19: */ _DEFAULT_SOURCE
>                 || /* Glibc versions <= 2.19: */ _SVID_SOURCE || _BSD_SOURCE"
>
> However, the POSIX-related requirement is not complete.  According to POSIX, it
> originated in issue 4 as an X/OPEN UNIX extension (see
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/random.html), and was
> moved to BASE in issue 5.  The GLIBC 2.12 on my RHEL6 system do seem to gate it
> as POSIX says (see clips below), so it is only the man page in error.
>
> So the man page really should say "_XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500
>                 || _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED  && _XOPEN_SOURCE
>                 || /* Glibc since 2.19: */ _DEFAULT_SOURCE
>                 || /* Glibc versions <= 2.19: */ _SVID_SOURCE || _BSD_SOURCE"
> (I'm not totally certain of the right way for _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED to be used,
> but you get the idea.)

(Yes, what you show is technically accurate.)

> Now perhaps this extra line was purposely left out based on a statement in
> feature_test_macros(7) that says "since defining _XOPEN_SOURCE with a value of
> 500 or more has the same effect as defining _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED, the latter
> (obsolete) feature test macro is generally not described in the SYNOPSIS in man
> pages."

Yes. That is the reason. In the latest man-pages release (4.05), mention of
_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED was removed from virtually every man page.

> However, for this case it leaves out a user getting it with a version
> older than 500.  (The manual as-is is good for a new user, really, but it is not
> good for a developer working on the proper gates in the code, or a user looking
> at older code.)

The problems here from my point of view are the following:

* Maintaining the FTM information is an arduous task, especially when
  one tries to maintain historical information also (which I do
  try to do).
* The FTM requirements shown in some man pages were growing very long. So long
  that they were an impediment to understanding in some cases.
* _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is indeed understood still by glibc. However, that
  FTM was last documented in a standard in 1995. For a long time now, no new
  code should have been trying to use it.
* Re the last point: continuing to mention _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED in the
  man pages may actually mislead a few people into using that FTM!

The above is why I removed mention of _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED from the man
pages. It still seems like the right thing to do. If you have some strong
couterarguments, I'd be interested to hear them.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk