Re: SEE ALSO: func based or man page based?

Hello Mike,

On 02/16/2016 11:26 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i often remember the func name "sigprocmask".  but when i'm in that page,
> i have a hard time remembering the exact naming for the set operators.
> rather than search, i figure just checking out the SEE ALSO section will
> quickly answer me ... except it doesn't (directly).
>
> this is what sigprocmask(2) has:
> SEE ALSO
>     kill(2), pause(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), sigpending(2),
>     sigsuspend(2), pthread_sigmask(3), sigqueue(3), sigsetops(3),
>     signal(7)
>
> i read that a few times and then just start picking signal related
> pages until i stumble across sigsetops(3).
>
> is there a policy against listing the functions that appear in a
> grouped page ?

There is no general policy. But obviously the man page should
make this point obvious. (Other similar pages, such as
sched_setaffinity(2) do make it obvious.) I added the
following text:

       A  set of functions for modifying and inspecting variables of type
       sigset_t ("signal sets") is described in sigsetops(3).

> or would it be ok to add the funcs in the sigsetops
> page directly to sigprocmask's SEE ALSO ?

I'm not sure that that's necessary. There are only a few pages like
this, and I think it's better to have sentences like the above.

> grepping shows that at
> least select_tut(2) is out of sync ...

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk