Re: iNotify Man Page: Prefix Header + Tail Array vs C Structure

Hello Michael,

On 12/14/2015 10:46 AM, Michael Titke wrote:

> On 13/12/2015 18:53, walter harms wrote:
>> I am not sure that i understood what you want ...
>>
>> i would answer the question:
>>
>> * what is the actual size of struct inotify_event ?
>>
>> inotify(7) says:
>> the length of each inotify_event structure is thus sizeof(struct inotify_event)+len
>
> Please fix the manual page: the actual size is sizeof (struct
> inotify_event) where struct inotify_event is as described below with a
> size parameter for the name field of NAME_MAX+1

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is not correct.
The 'name' field is variable length,

> and the actual string
> contained in that field has a length of /len/ (and is probably NULL
> terminated at len+1).

Again, if I understand what you are trying to say, this is not
correct. The man page is I think rather clear:

       The name field is present only when an event is returned for  a
       file  inside  a watched directory; it identifies the file path‐
       name relative to the watched directory.  This pathname is null-
       terminated,  and may include further null bytes ('\0') to align
       subsequent reads to a suitable address boundary.

       The len field counts all of the bytes in  name,  including  the
       null  bytes; the length of each inotify_event structure is thus
       sizeof(struct inotify_event)+len.

> With your answer the actual size would be the length of the fixed prefix
> fields (w/o) plus the size of a pointer (sizeof(void*)

That's not what Walter said.

> for the name
> field w/o parameter plus len): thus you might be off by the size of a
> pointer. Each inotify message has the same width. This only refers to
> the structure described in the manual page! An actual sizeof (struct
> inotify_event) might yield the correct result as the system headers
> probably contain the correct structure.

If you grep through the headers in /usr/include, I think
you'll get a surprise...

> But that diversion is what makes
> the manual page a little bit confusing and presenting a pointer instead
> of a fixed size array is just plainly wrong.

The man page is not presenting a pointer. See below.

> Please review my original message as well as reference documentation
> regarding the C programming language.

Sorry to say, but I think you might want to review the C standard.
The syntax shown in the man page is precisely the C99 way for
declaring a flexible length array at the end of a structure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_array_member

IOW, I think the page is fine.

Cheers,

Michael