Re: "man 3 vsprintf" : simple bug in EXAMPLE section

On 03/27/2015 11:20 AM, walter harms wrote:

> hi Zhen Ren,
> i tried to create a more simple example. Do you think this is more
> helpful for you ?

Walter,

Your version seems better. See comments below.

> re,
>  wh
>
> char *
> make_message2 (const char *fmt, ...)
> {
>   int n,size = 0;
>   char *p = NULL;
>   va_list ap;
>
>   /* figure our required size */

>   va_start (ap, fmt);
>   size = vsnprintf (p, size, fmt, ap);
>   va_end (ap);
>
>   if (size < 0)
>     return NULL;
>
>   /* leave room for \0 */
>   size++;
>   p = malloc (size);
>   if (p == NULL)
>     return NULL;
>
>   va_start (ap, fmt);
>   n = vsnprintf (p, size, fmt, ap);

What's missing here is a check on the return value from
the vsnprintf() call. I added one.

I've put your code into the page, replacing the existing
example, with the fix noted above.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Kerrisk