Re: Documenting RENAME_WHITEOUT

On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 09:37:39AM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 03/06/2015 10:44 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> Sorry for the delay...
> >>
> >>   RENAME_WHITEOUT is a special operation, that only makes sense for
> >>   overlay/union type filesystem implementations.  Currently it is used
> >>   internally by the overlay filesystem.
> >
> > However, it is exposed to userspace by renameat2, and filesystem
> > developers still need to know it's exact semantics documented so
> > they can implement it.
> >
> >>   Specifying RENAME_WHITEOUT will create a "whiteout" object at the source of
> >>   the rename at the same time as performing the rename.  The whole operation is
> >>   still atomic, so if the rename succeeds then the whiteout will also have been
> >>   created.
> >>
> >>   A "whiteout" is an object that has special meaning in union/overlay type file
> >>   system constructs, in these constructs multiple layers exists and only the top
> >>   one is ever modified.  A whiteout on an upper layer will effectively hide the
> >>   matching file on the lower layer, making it appear if the file didn't exist.
> >>
> >>   When a file that exists on the lower layer is renamed, the file is first
> >>   copied up (if not already on the upper layer) and then renamed on the upper,
> >>   read-write layer.  At the same time the source file needs to be "whiteouted".
> >>   The whole operation needs to be done atomically.
> >
> > This doesn't explain exactly what the RENAME_WHITEOUT operation is
> > supposed to do. It explains how overlayfs uses them, not the
> > semantics and behaviour of RENAME_WHITEOUT. e.g. source
> > restrictions, target restrictions, can you RENAME_WHITEOUT over
> > another whiteout, etc. I've noticed these restrictions are very
> > different from other rename operations, but I don't know whether
> > that is ext4 implementation bugs or intentional because there is no
> > documentation or regression tests in xfstests for it...
>
> What Dave said!
>
> Miklos, AFAICS, RENAME_WHITEOUT is user-space visible. Would you be
> willing to write some piece for the man page to explain things
> from a user-space perspective?

The text explains why whiteouts are useful.  That's what you asked me, so that's
what I wrote...

If that's not interesting we can just leave that part out:

  Specifying RENAME_WHITEOUT will create a "whiteout" object at the source of
  the rename at the same time as performing the rename.  The whole operation is
  still atomic, so if the rename succeeds then the whiteout will also have been
  created.

  The whiteout is represented as a char device with 0,0 device number.
  RENAME_WHITEOUT needs the same privileges as creating a device node
  (CAP_MKNOD) and will fail with EPERM error if that capability is missing.

  If RENAME_WHITEOUT is specified together wuth RENAME_EXCHANGE, then the rename
  with fail with EINVAL error.

That's it.  No other special behavior relative to normal rename.

Thanks,
Miklos