Re: [patch 1/2] adjtimex.2: remove nonexisting reference to adjtimex(8)

Hello Laurent,

(Sorry for the delayed follow-up.)

On 11/29/2014 11:22 AM, Laurent Georget wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Le 29/11/2014 10:17, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) a écrit :
>> Hello Laurent,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Laurent Georget
>> <laurent.georget@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This is a patch I sent to mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx. It didn't make its way
>>> to this mailing-list the first time. It's a trivial fix for an undefined
>>> reference to adjtimex(8). Patch you received before (adjtimex.2: add
>>> explanation about ADJ_TAI action) is patch 2/2 for adjtimex.2.
>>
>> This does not seem correct to me. Certainly on my Fedora system, there
>> is an "adjtimex" package that installs adjtimex(8) page. So, this
>> reference seems okay to me. Did I miss something?
>>

> Ok, indeed, my mistake. This package is not part of the core system on
> my distribution so I found it surprising to have a link from a man2 page
> to a nonexisting man8 page. But now that I give a closer look, the case
> is the same for request_key.2 linking to request_key.8 for example so
> I'm wrong.

It's not a really mistake on your part. See below.

> What is the policy to include a link from section 2 to section 1 or 8? I
> guess I'm misundestanding something here? Given the case of adjtimex(2)
> linking to adjtimex(8) because there is an adjtimex package which
> installs it, should we include a link in inotify_{init,add,...} to
> inotifywait.1 for example? I've always thought that pages in section 1
> (or 8) and 2 should just include a link to a general page in section 7
> to remain generic enough through time.

To date, the policy is implicit. I've tried to make it a little more
explicit by just now adding the following text to man-pages(7):

    Given the distributed, autonomous nature of FOSS projects
    and their documentation, it is sometimes necessary—and in
    many cases desirable—that the SEE ALSO  section  includes
    references to manual pages provided by other projects.

Regarding your inotify example, I tried to address that case
a while ago with some additions in inotify(7). But, in the general
case, sometimes these references aren't in the man pages simply
because no one yet thought to add or suggest them.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk