Re: status in PACKET_RX_RING is actually a bit mask

Hi Carsten,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Carsten Andrich
<carsten.andrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd ack the patch, too.
> However if we start clarifying the bitmask situation, we should do it
> properly. packet.7 mentions TP_STATUS_xyz several times and never
> actually differentiates between setting bits and setting the whole
> tp_status variable. Actually both occurs inside the kernel:
> http://lingrok.org/xref/linux-net-next/net/packet/af_packet.c#798
> http://lingrok.org/xref/linux-net-next/net/packet/af_packet.c#2300

Note the section I touched covers PACKET_RX_RING. The second
occurrence you quote concerns PACKET_TX_RING - the send side. So far,
TP_STATUS_LOSING is the only status I've stumbled upon, but I know
there are other values possible.

> I could prepare another patch for review, that clarifies the tp_status
> usage for all references to TP_STATUS_xyz values.
> Unless Stefan would like to do this himself, since it's actually his
> "discovery" ;)

I don't have a patch cooking for the rest of the bits, so if you want
to have a stab at it, go ahead :).

Thanks for reviewing and submitting the patch, guys!

Stefan.