flock(2) and NFS

I'm not sure whether this is me being stupid, or a real issue.
On my CentOS 6 system the manpage for flock()2 states that it does not work on NFS. When I check for the latest version online, it is the same.

Experimentally, the flock shell command does work on an NFS3 mounted volume in (at least) CentOS 5 with 2.6.18.

In http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ I find
"The NFS client in 2.6.12 provides support for flock()/BSD locks on NFS files by emulating the BSD-style locks in terms of POSIX byte range locks."

In fs/nfs/file.c I find "We're simulating flock() locks using posix locks on the server"

That seems to imply to me that flock() does in fact work on Linux since 2.6.12, at least as far as a programmer is concerned.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/flock.2.html

NOTES
       flock() does not lock files over NFS.  Use fcntl(2) instead: that
       does work over NFS, given a sufficiently recent version of Linux and
       a server which supports locking.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)