Re: ptrace(2) man page

Hello Heiko,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Heiko Carstens
<heiko.carstens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> we are just wondering where we should document the s390 specific ptrace
> interface.
> The natural answer seems to be "in the man page", however when reading the
> ptrace(2) man page it hardly mentions any architecture dependent details.
>
> Especially the _exact_ semantics of each ptrace command including all data
> structures etc. are missing.
>
> In the kernel at least powerpc has Documentation/powerpc/ptrace.txt which
> seems to go into detail.
>
> So, what do you think? Should these architecture specific details go
> into the ptrace(2) man page?
> Or somewhere else? Like e.g. Documentation/<arch>/ptrace.txt in the kernel?
> Or maybe an arch specific "sub" man page like e.g. ptrace.<arch>?

I am not sure, mainly because I am not familiar with the extent of the
architecture-specific variation in ptrace(2). I do see that there is
just a very little arch-specific detail in the man page (x86, SPARC).
I am not (yet) sure of the way forward. I have CCed Denys Vlasenko,
since in recent times he has done a lot of work on this page, and I
assume has a lot of familiarity with the various arch-specific
details. Perhaps he has an opinion.

Cheers,

Michael