Re: recvmmsg() timeout behavior strangeness

On 01/10/2013 04:04 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:

Which timeout are we talking about? I've been copied into the thread
without seeing the start of it.

The discussion is about the timeout parameter for the recvmmsg() call. Currently in the recvmmsg() code it only checks the timeout after __sys_recvmsg() returns, so if __sys_recvmsg() blocks forever we could end up essentially ignoring the timeout.

If this is the rcvtimeo then afaik this is supposed to be the max time
that the call waits for data, but is overridden by MSG_DONTWAIT, for
example, on a per call basis. I'd assume that recvmmsg should work
exactly like recvmsg in this case unless there is a good reason for it
to differ,

recvmsg() doesn't have a timeout parameter, so it uses SO_RCVTIMEO.

recvmmsg() has an explicit timeout parameter but it doesn't look like it works properly and the documentation doesn't mention how it is supposed to interact with SO_RCVTIMEO.

Chris