Re: veth.4

Hi Tomáš!

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Tomas Pospisek <tpo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello linux-man ML and Michael,
>
> below you'll find a manpage about the veth virtual ethernet device. The
> manpage is a summarisation of the sparse information about veth I found on
> the net.

Thanks for this!

> I'd be glad if veth(4) could find a place in the manpages because allthough
> I was using veth's a lot lately, I had no idea about how they work and so
> didn't my peers. So I suspect a manpage might be useful.

Yes, it seems reasonable to me.

> In my ignorance I've chosen section 4 for the manpage, maybe there's a
> better one.

Section 4 seems about right to me,

> You can find the manpage below

See comments. After revising, could you resubmit, and and Eric
Biederman and Pavel Emelianov to CC, asking them for comment. Maybe
also CC linux-kernel.

Also, do you have a pointer to "Pavel Emelianov's veth driver
submission to the LKML"? I couldn't find it. It would be at least
handy to have a URL for archived mail in the changelog for this man
page.

[...]

> .TH veth 4 2012-11-02 "Linux" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
> .SH NAME
> veth \- Virtual Ethernet Device
> .SH DESCRIPTION
> The \fBveth*\fP devices are virtual ethernet devices.

Ethernet

> They can act as tunnels between network namespaces to create
> a bridge to a physical network device in another namespace, but
> can also be used as standalone network devices.
>
> Because of their original purpose for tunneling \fBveth\fP devices

I somewhat prefer the use of the line formatting directives, thus

.B veth

> are allways created in pairs, that are interconnected with

always

> each other.  When one \fBveth\fP end receives a packet it

I prefer new sentences to start on new source lines (See man-pages(7).)

> appears on its pair and vice versa.
>
> \fBVeth\fP devices can be manipulated with the
> .BR ip (8)
> tool. See \fB ip link help\fP for more information.

See
.I "ip link help"
for more information.

> .SH "SEE ALSO"
> .BR ip (8) ,
> .BR clone (2)

Reverse the order of those two lines.

> .SH COLOPHON

The COLOPHON is autogenerated by scripts. No need to add it, and we
don't really need the next sentence in the man-page itself, thought it
will be useful for the changelog.

> This page is based on Pavel Emelianov's veth driver submission to
> the LKML and on the .BR clone (8)
> manpage.
>
> It is part of release 3.44 of the Linux
> .I man-pages