Re: Futex manpages out of date

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 08:58 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
The futex man-pages (2,7) from version 3.15-1 and at least a few earlier
versions are considerably out of date with respect to the current
implementation. They don't document newer op codes, such as:

FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET
FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET
FUTEX_WAKE_OP
FUTEX_LOCK_PI
FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI
FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI
FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI

These new wait op codes now use absolute timeouts, while the original
FUTEX_WAIT uses a relative timeout. Lastly, and most importantly, glibc
has removed the futex() wrapper to syscall(SYS_futex, ...). With that in
mind, would people prefer that we simply remove the futex man-pages
(2,7)?

A readable text about the interaction between the futex value and the
various futex ops and how to build proper locking primitives with them
would be helpful I think, however doing that in the form of a locking
library (as has been suggested at KS) seems plenty fine to me.

Readable code is much better than rambling English at conveying this
stuff.

Perhaps as part of futex-test? An example set of locking primitives would be a good way to test the syscall independently of glibc...

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center