Re: man-pages, Czech version, this letter is related only to the CZ version

Hello Martin,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Martin Ošmera<martin.osmera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello there.
> At first I'd like to mention that I really appreciate your work, but
> from my point of view there is a significant flaw. May I ask you why
> do you use ISO-8859-2 instead of UTF-8. This makes no sense at all.
> For instance I have practically never seen any Czech man page with
> czech specific characters correctly displayed. It always looks like
> this: "
> JMÃNO
>       passwd - seznam hesel uživatelů
>
> POPIS
>       Passwd  je  Äitelný  textový  soubor,  který  obsahuje
> seznam úÄtů systému, obsahujÃcà pro každý úÄet užiteÄné
>       informace jako ID uživatele, ID skupiny, domovský adresáÅ,
> shell  apod.   Äasto  také  obsahuje  zaÅ¡ifrovaná  hesla
>       úÄtů.  MÄl by být Äitelný pro vÅ¡echny (mnoho utilit, jako
> ls(1) jej použÃvajà k namapovánà ID uživatele na jméno
>       uživatele), ale zapisovatelný jen pro superuživatele.
> "
> Of course it can be easily changed by iconv. Do you plan to change
> character encoding in some future version ?

I have no up-to-date info about the Czech translations.My suspicion is
that they are unmaintained. It could be that Pavel (CCed), who has
sometimes contributed to the English version, and has mentioned the
Czech version to me a coupleof times (IIRC) knows more.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
Watch my Linux system programming book progress to publication!