Re: regex.7 manpage is awful

On Friday 09 January 2009 12:38, Petr Baudis wrote:
> I doubt that you will succeed in adding a third regexp mode at this
> point, but the POSIX development process seems very open, so feel free
> to propose this: http://www.opengroup.org/austin/

Thanks for the link, but I'd have to think longer about it before I would
propose something like this ;-)

[snip - good suggestions!]

> (grep(1) has nice, concise and incomplete regex description.)

I guess that would be a good place to start. And to verify all the things
mentioned there to some common GNU implementations (since these are the
Linux/GNU manpages).
It might be worthwhile to create a section called PORTABILITY and list
all known exceptions to the description above it and wether the
behaviour is POSIX.2 compliant.

Cheers

Simon