Re: For review: pthread_cancel.3

HI Bert,

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Bert Wesarg <bert.wesarg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I haven't read all over, but maybe its worth to combine such features
> into one man page. I.e. for this particular case put:
>
>  pthread_cancel (3),
>  pthread_setcancelstate (3),
>  pthread_setcanceltype (3),
>  pthread_testcancel (3)
>
> in.
>
> You have done this here to some extent, except no prototypes for the
> other functions and the symbolic constants.  It looks like the old
> LinuxThread man pages are of this type.  If your are not a friend of
> this combining, its ok, but I want it to bring up for discussion.

I did consider this.  In particular, I noticed that the POSIX.1 spec combines:

  pthread_setcancelstate (3),
  pthread_setcanceltype (3),
  pthread_testcancel (3)

But, in the end, I decide there was (just) enough orthogonality
between the first pair and the last one that I preferred to do them on
separate pages.  As for combining pthread_cancel(3) with some/all of
the above, pthread_setcancel*.3 the case was more clear cut:
pthread_testcancel(3) is big enough that combining it with say
pthread_setcancel*.3 would IMO have created a page that was too long
and unwieldy.  (Yes, I appreciate there is a little redundancy between
my pthead_cance.3 and pthread_setcancelstate.3 pages, but I don't
think it is really a problem.)

Cheers,

Michael
--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git