Subject: Re: Math-man-pages
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:02:06 +0100
From: Fabian Kreutz <kreutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Michael Kerrisk <mtk-manpages@xxxxxxx>

Hi Michael!

[...]

No problem!

I started ~2 month ago to translate the math-manpages to german
(http://www.infodrom.org/projects/manpages-de/).

During that I found some typos and a little bit of chaos. I didn't
intend to debug the english manpages, so I didn't create patches,
but just wrote down the errors that I corrected in the german version.

The list of corrections can be found in the other mail. Maybe you'll
need up to an hour (although I doubt that) to apply them, but believe
me, it took me some more time to find them.

A little discussion happend concerning the question of subjects that
should be written in alle math-pages. Andries preferred the way to
write it into each page, rather than generate a new page math.7,
explaining these facts more generally. The facts are:
  1 Math-functions need to be linked with -lm
  2 Some functions are from the C99-standard. Since gcc runs with
    c89-conformity by default, some functions need -std=c99 or een
    -D_GNU_SOURCE as compile-time argument
  3 rounding and exception handling for floating point numbers are
    done by a system explained in fenv.3
  4 most functions can raise a EDOM or ERANGE exception, which should
    be explained in the ERROR-Section

1) Andries already inserted a "link with -lm" everywhere
2) I gave you a list of functions that need c99 or _GNU_SOURCE
3) I inserted a uniform text at the beginning of the error-section,
   referring to fenv.3
4) I didn't really do that. Eerything else was enough work

The other things are minor errors.

Two last things remain, no maybe three:
 1) The functions in j0.3 are in fact not defined in C99. The Open Group
    does not know the -f and -l variants. But I'm not sure what to do.
    We should ask someone who knows about standards.
 2) I believe that infnan.3 should be deleted
 3) fma.3 and only that page refers to section 3p, which is unknown to me.
    It says something about "FLT_ROUND", which is never explained.

What shall we do about these last three points?

Bye, Fabian

--
Michael Kerrisk
man-pages online: http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online_pages.html