Re: Error in man page: realloc(ptr, 0) is not equivalent to free(ptr)

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 14:01 +0100, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Ping!  Did you have anything further to add?

I stopped following this thread because I realized that my main issue
was with the standards.

I have one comment though:  I believe that the ISO C standard mandates
that, for ptr != NULL, realloc(ptr,0) be equivalent to free() (and
return NULL), whereas POSIX uses the vaguer phrase "pointer is
freed" (and return a null pointer or a unique pointer that can be
successfully passed to free()).

The man-page is mixing the two standards, saying it is equivalent to
free() but returns a null pointer or a unique pointer that can be
successfully passed to free().  While this is technically correct, it is
less internally consistent than either of the standards.  How about
following POSIX and using "ptr is freed" instead of "equivalent to
free(ptr)"?

Chris