Naming of man-pages

Hi Peter (and linux-man),

This might seem a little trivial, but I would like to get some consistency
in names to do with the "man pages" project, if possible.  (Please don't
make any changes in response to this email yet.  I'd be interested in your,
and other people's, thoughts on which way to go.)

The man-pages project tarballs have always been called "man-pages-x.y".  In
addition, the web space on kernel.org is /doc/man-pages.  (I've put some
pages up there in the last few days, but have (deliberately) not publicized
them yet, while I finalize my ideas.)

A while back you created a git space for me (which I haven't started using
yet):

> I just created /pub/scm/docs/manpages (by analogy with
> /pub/linux/docs/manpages.)

Note the inconsistency in names: "manpages" versus "man-pages".  To fix
this, I'm wondering if it would be possible to have the git space named

/pub/scm/docs/man-pages

And then, I'd like the tarballs available under

/pub/linux/docs/man-pages

(A symlink from "/pub/linux/docs/manpages" to "/pub/linux/docs/man-pages"
would allow old web links to remain valid.)

Would these changes be possible?  (Please don't make them yet.)

There is an alternative of course: I could rename the project to
"manpages", rename the tarballs likewise to "manpages-x.y", and get you to
rename the web directory to "manpages".  It would be possible to do that,
but it is a bigger change than going the other way.  (On the other hand, it
would also be consistent with email address I'm nowadays using for man-pages.)

If you have, or anyone else has, some thoughts on the naming change in
either direction, I'd be interested to hear them.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?  Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages/
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source files for 'FIXME'.

-