Re: [jlayton:mgtime 5/13] inode.c:undefined reference to `__invalid_cmpxchg_size'

Hi Jeff,

On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 1:58 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been getting some of these warning emails from the KTR. I think
this is in reference to this patch, which adds a 64-bit try_cmpxchg in
the timestamp handling code:

    https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20240708-mgtime-v4-0-a0f3c6fb57f3@xxxxxxxxxx/

On m68k, there is a prototype for __invalid_cmpxchg_size, but no actual
function, AFAICT. Should that be defined somewhere, or is this a
deliberate way to force a build break in this case?

It's a deliberate way to break the build.

More to the point though: do I need to do anything special for m86k
here (or for other arches that can't do a native 64-bit cmpxchg)?

64-bit cmpxchg() is only guaranteed to exist on 64-bit platforms.
See also
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/include/asm-generic/cmpxchg.h#L62

I think you can use arch_cmpxchg64(), though.