Re: Kernel Image Format Issue - Coldfire mcf54418 CPU Failing to Boot

Hello Adrian,

Hi Jean-Michel,

On Tue, 2024-05-28 at 08:32 +0200, Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
For the record, I found the issue, which is already corrected latest
kernel by [1].

That's great. Since I have a similar problem with my SH7785LCR which hangs
when u-boot tries to start the kernel, maybe we can debug the issue in a similar
way?

If I understand this correctly, you hacked in serial output at a very early
bootstage so you could see what was going on?

I did two things, as this hangs even before the uart is configured. So I used a trace32 jtag to see where it was really hanged.

I don't really know about sh architecture so I can't really help you sorry :-(. The command line seems to be set in arch/sh/kernel/setup.c:setup_arch() so you should probably try to set CONFIG_CMDLINE and CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERWRITE as it should then be able to go on but without a jtag, I am not sure you can easily debug it...

JM

When I get into my kernel after u-boot jsr, the SP is [2].
I don't have any initrd, and it is deactivated in my defconfig now, but
we still try to access the address, which is 0x00000000 !

I think this patch should probably be reported to the stable kernels too ?

Such patches are normally backported to stable patches automatically.

Adrian