Re: Linux 6.8-rc6

On 2/26/24 23:41, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Hi Günter,

CC Kees

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:52 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
stackinit
---------

Seen with m68k:q800 emulation.

     # test_char_array_zero: ASSERTION FAILED at lib/stackinit_kunit.c:333
     Expected stackinit_range_contains(fill_start, fill_size, target_start, target_size) to be true, but is false
stack fill missed target!? (fill 16 wide, target offset by -12)

     # test_char_array_none: ASSERTION FAILED at lib/stackinit_kunit.c:343
     Expected stackinit_range_contains(fill_start, fill_size, target_start, target_size) to be true, but is false
stack fill missed target!? (fill 16 wide, target offset by -12)

Report:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/a0d10d50-2720-4ecd-a2c6-c2c5e5aeee65@xxxxxxxxxxxx/

I don't think these have ever succeeded before, see
https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAMuHMdX_g1tbiUL9PUQdqaegrEzCNN3GtbSvSBFYAL4TzvstFg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I suspect this may be caused by the test assuming that stack growth is
downward, but I don't really understand the test well enough to be sure.
I'll disable this set of tests for m68k going forward, so I am not going
to report the problem again in the future.

On m68k, the stack does grow downward.

Sorry, I meant to say upward, but apparently I was wrong.

AFAIK only parisc has a stack that grows upward.

... and the tests work there, so that isn't the problem.

As mentioned, I stopped running those tests on m68k.

Thanks,
Guenter